Our environmental commitment means we are always striving to minimise our carbon footprint whilst at the same time continuing to provide exceptional levels of service paired with outstanding hotel and event facilities.
A Green Stay on the Hill
We are continually working to understand the environmental issues that can be associated with all our operations.
Below are some examples of the actions we are now taking for the future:
- Incorporate environmental awareness as part of our staff training and ensure everyone is involved with its implementation.
- Work with our suppliers to increase usage of environmentally friendly products and supplies.
- Purchase recycled goods where possible and recycle paper, plastics, cardboard and glass.
- Recycle or re-use old furniture by donating that which is in good condition to charities or organisations where these products can be re-used.
- Rigorously promote energy conservation and reduce energy consumption through controls on water, heating and electrical systems.
- Provide responsible disposal options such as grey water in and around our buildings for use within plant borders, re-processing used vegetable oil and encouraging the use of bio-fuels.
- Install energy saving features during refurbishments, such as motion detectors, dimmers and low energy lighting wherever feasible.
- Reduce the impact of paper usage by increasing our use of online transmissions and electronic data collection.
- Adopt an environmentally sound transport strategy, encouraging the use of bikes, car share, shared taxis for staff & public transport for our guests.
- Share our environmental expectations with our suppliers, partners, contractors and customers and encourage them to adopt sound environmental and sustainable practices, such as reducing the amount of packaging and consolidating deliveries.
- Responsibly source food products and ingredients following seasonal trends and sourcing locally whenever possible to reduce food miles and support the local community.
- Monitoring and review our environmental performance on an ongoing basis
We aspire to achieve continuous improvement in our environmental performance, trying to lead the way locally, playing an integral role in protecting our environment now and into the future.
We are very fortunate to be located in one of the UK's most stunning natural environments and we recognise protection of our local area requires consideration in virtually all of our activities. We incorporate environmental management into everyday business. Our team seek the highest standard of excellence in environmental practice without compromising our excellent service to our customers.
In 2014, we were delighted to be accredited by the Green Tourism Business Scheme (GTBS). Green Tourism is the largest sustainable certification programme of its kind and we are very proud to sit within the scheme.
Our recent bedroom refurbishment (2015) has allowed us to encorporate further sustainable practises within the hotel and our mission is to ensure green operations are sustained.
A Green Stay on the Hill
A Green Stay on the Hill
We are working to make our hotel more eco-friendly, but we need your help. We can all reduce our impact on the environment by making choices. As a Richmond Hill Hotel guest you have a very important role to play in helping us to conserve our natural assets and become a more sustainable destination. Here are our recommended tips on how you can help.
If a light is left on overnight, within a year it accounts for as much greenhouse gas as a car journey from Paris to Richmond. So help to reduce energy by switching off your room lights when not needed. If you are staying in a Hill Collection Room your lights are automated by your key card, but think smart and save energy if staying in a traditional Georgian room or when using a meeting room.
Give the car a rest
Getting to Richmond couldn't be simplier, we encourage you to leave the car at home if you can. Rail links to the hotel are excellent and we are only a 15 walk from Richmond rail station. The walk to the hotel also offers a picturesque view of The River Thames and Petersham Meadows.
Whilst with us, why not try some of the fantastic local outdoor activities Richmond has to offer, or hire a bicycle for the day? Our reception team will be happy to provide more information on cycle hire, walking routes and the best jogging routes.
Find out more about cycle hire in Richmond.
There are some fantastsic local producers and independent businesses operating in Richmond. Use local products, they give you a flavour of the area and help support our local community. We are fortunate to have some fantastic producers of food, drink and arts in Richmond. Ask us about the local produce or drinks we provide here at the hotel.
Be Water Wise
6 litres of water is wasted per minute if the tap is left running whilst brushing your teeth. The UK has rising costs for water treatments and flood defences, so we encourage you to be water wise during your stay.
Help us to look after our beautiful landscape and local wildlife by not littering, guarding against fire and using footpaths and cycle paths responsibly.
Support Green Businesses
There are thousands of businesses in the British Isles working to reduce their carbon footprint through the Green Tourism Business Scheme. Businesses are awarded Bronze, Silver and Gold for their efforts to be more sustainable.